Thursday, May 26, 2005

Eve's Trip to AZ - celebrate 40!

For 5 days near the end of May, I (Eve) took a trip with 3 of my best college friends to celebrate the year we all turn 40: Karen M, Karen P & Laurie A. Keri A was not able to be with us - and her birthday was during the trip dates! - but we thought about her a lot and even were able to catch her on the phone and sing (I must say, a lovely version of) Happy Birthday!'

.We chose Sedona, AZ and stayed in the Hilton Resort there. It was a very nice studio. The weather is normally in the mid-80's at this time of year (or so we read), but it was record-breaking and I think the high was 109° with it reaching 105 several days. When we left, it was in the high 90's - almost "cool." We had a good time together though - hiking in the early morning (getting up between 5 and 6 to beat the heat), relaxing, checking out the local stores and eating at interesting restaurants. I even got a massage - so did Laurie - and also had a pedicure. Luka liked my big toes with rhinestone flowers on them when I returned home.

Luka and Papa held up the home front. They had a great time - going to SesameStreetLive and seeing Elmo and all his buds in real life - along with a Elmo balloon that is still floating around the house. They also went on a major hike on Sunday where Luka went about 1.5 miles on his own power up hill (or so I heard). We may just have to buy him some expensive REI hiking boots yet!

This was the first time I had been away from Luka overnight and it turned out great in the end. He talked to me one or two times a day on the phone - and hearing him from the other end was an eye-opener as to what a good talker he is now. He told me a lot about his days at school, with Papa and what he was having for dinner. :) I thought it would be more traumatic for both of us than it was - but I'd say that we were also both glad when I came home.

Back to the trip with the girls - we had such a good time we are talking about doing it again next year (somewhere new) rather than waiting for the big 45 or the big (gulp) 5-oh.