Monday, January 30, 2006

Recipe: Most Yummy Chocolate Chip Cookies

This is the Quaker Chewy Choc-Oat-Chip Cookies from the inside of the top of the oatmeal can. Also, at their web site. We started making these 13 years ago when I mailed Reynald some cookies from Anchorage when he was doing his military service officers' school in France. (Back then, military service was still mandatory in France.) My fav cookie is oatmeal chocolate chip and I discovered this recipe on the box. The rest, as they say, is history.

Mom has taken these over as her own and is famous for making them. I make a mean cookie with this recipe too. I usually make them as bar cookies. I don't have enough time to make them one by one. Don't over cook them as drop cookies and they will be divine. So buttery (and good for you too, I am sure!).

These work well in high altitude too. The Quaker recipe says that the nuts are optional, but I don't think so. They are soooooo delicious in this recipe!

Ingredients
1/2 pound (2 sticks) margarine or butter, softened
1-1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 TBS milk
2 tsp vanilla
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour (increase to 2 cups for high altitude)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt (optional)
2-1/2 cups Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
2 cups (12 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

This recipe can be easily halved. It is big the way it is written.

Directions
1. Heat oven to 375°F. In large bowl, beat margarine and sugars until creamy. Add eggs, milk and vanilla; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda and salt; mix well. Add oats, chocolate chips and nuts, if desired; mix well.

2. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 9 to 10 minutes for a chewy cookie or 12 to 13 minutes for a crisp cookie. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.

3. If you are making bar cookies (my favorite), press dough into the bottom of an ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. I use a glass one. Quaker says bake 30 - 35 minutes till done. Note that at high altitude, I never bake them that long--they'd be burnt to a crisp. I cut the recipe in half (it is big as given and it halves easily) and I bake the bar cookies around 15 minutes.

Ah, heaven!