Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Dora the Explorer en français ?!

Luka loves Dora the Explorer. When he is allowed to watch videos/TV he always wants to watch Dora. This is in contrast to the same time last year when he looooooved T'Choupi and everything was about T'Choupi. He still likes T'Choupi a lot, but as little kid fixations go, he is way into Dora at the moment (or, rather, the last 6 months or so). He first saw Dora in January or February. I take the blame - I had never lot him watch US TV before. But, one day I let my guard down and let him see what temptations were out there in American kid TVland. ;) The exposure to Dora was deadly. The Teletubbies seems that it was only a passing fancy.

In any case, because English is everywhere and we still need as much input in French as possible to keep up his great skills, we are trying to get him to watch other stuff too. But, I also don't want to deny him of his current "obsession". So, I had this great idea....

I found out that, oui, Dora does exist in French! I came across a whole entry on this (and other foreign-language adaptations of Dora) in Wikipedia. What did we ever doe before Wikipedia? For the entry about Dora, go here: DORA EN FRANCAIS. Is the Internet great, or what?!

In any case, now, I am planning to buy some Dora episode's from Amazon in France. The only thing is, I hope it does not cause a wrinkle in the way he sees things (French and English in their separate compartments). He likes structure and it is important to him that some things are "French" and other things are "English". Dora is definitely "English" right now. Sometimes, if I try to talk about Dora to him in French, he does not like it and says in English, "Mommy, Dora does not speak French." Meaning, please talk about her in "her" language, which is English.

Well, I guess it won't send him into catatonic shock. We will see and I will post the results here. It will be a few weeks though, as it always takes a few weeks to get a delivery after I place French orders. More to come....!