Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Unexpected Visitor

My mom called us on Sunday to say she would be in Denver two days--due to a mishap with her flight back from PA after Popop's funeral. I picked her up at the airport on Sunday evening and she left today (Tuesday). What a wonderful unexpected visit! It was a lot of fun to have her and great to have her see the kids. Luka has changed a lot in the (almost) 8 months since Axel was born and, of course, Axel has changed immensely since she saw him last as a newborn. Both boys had fun with her here. We will miss her!

We will all miss our Popop. Laura and I had both ordered flowers at the same flower shop for the funeral and they called her back because we had spelled "Popop" differently, and they wanted to confirm. I have always spelled it that way, as a kid, all through college and into adulthood, when I wrote to my grandparents. I guess I was the wrong one--everyone else spelled it "Pop pop" (and as I recall, so did Dearma when she signed their letters). I guess he didn't mind, but that was a shock. Well, we never said it "Pop pop" but did pronounce it "popop," so I guess I took it too literally. Anyway, we will all miss him and our other grandparents who had gone before.

Post Script: Thanks to Steven for reminding me about the related Dear Mac and Poppy story. When Dad died, our grandparents, whom we called Dearma and Popop (see above regarding Popop!), sent us flowers. Our local florist signed it for them "Dear Mac and Poppy". We all thought that was hilarious. Probably due to some much needed stress release as well.