Saturday, April 01, 2006

April Fool's Day

Today was April Fool's day. In France, it is Poisson d'Avril day, where you also play tricks or try to stick a paper fish (poisson) to someone's back. I realized we had not played any jokes with Luka today so went up to say good night to him and stuck a paper fish on his back. He thought that was funny and then stuck it on Reynald's back and then mine--we didn't "know" it as he hugged us good night. (Axel was already in bed, and he'd just try to "eat" the paper poisson anyway. ;)

Of course, this makes me think of my dad's famous April Fool's jokes on us. Dipping cardboard "thin mint cookies" in melted chocolate and putting them back in the Girl Scout Cookie box. My teeth sliding on them when I tried to bite them. The box frosted with chocolate frosting--trying to cut into those delicious brownies (but being a bit suspicious of something, but not knowing exactly what as Helen and I think Steven offered me cake--we'd not normally share, but wolf it down before the others got there--ha ha.)

I, of course, have my own famous trick I played on my college roommate Laurie. I worked in the library in college and got a hold of some college letterhead and sent her a note saying she lacked some humanities credits and would not graduate in May (a month away). I sent it through inter-campus mail. She ran to the registrar's office demanding to know what was wrong. The registrar looked the letter and said, "Miss B----, what day is today?" She then screamed, "Eve!" and knew she'd been had. Her parents and my parents thought it was very funny, but it took her a few years to agree.

P.S. Happy Birthday, Pascal