Saturday, June 25, 2005

Knock Knock Jokes

When I was pregnant with Luka and went home to Anchorage to visit in early September 2002, my family had a birthday party for me. My brother Charles gave me a book called The Little Book of Knock Knock Jokes. A the time, I read it with my niece and nephew. Their favorite one was:

Knock, knock.
Who's there?
Dwayne.
Dwayne who?
Dwayne the bathtub, I dwowning!

Once I got home to Colorado, I set the book aside and kept it until "the baby" (who turned out to be Luka) was ready to read it with me. We came across it a few months ago in his closet and, though I thought he might be a bit young still, we started reading it. It has become one of his favorite books to read and we often tell knock knock jokes at parties (hee hee) or to each other during the day.

He thinks they are hilarious. At the beginning the book's pictures helped a lot, and he still likes them, but he can do them without pictures now too. It has been fun to see how, even over 2 or 3 months, how he has become more sophisticated in understanding knock knock humor. Now, he he gets it a bit more that one person says "knock knock" and the other says "who's there?" but, even if we say all the lines together, the punch line at the end is always very much appreciated by his two-year old little mind.

His #1 favorite:

Knock, Knock.
Who's there?
Shelby.
Shelby who?
(Sing) Shelby comin' round the mountain when she comes...toot toot! (and keep singing if you like).

We heard "She'll be Comin' Round the Mountain" the other day on one of our CD's and he got all excited: "Shelby, Mommy, Shelby!" We had to use the REPEAT ON button the stereo to play it over and over.

Luka surely does not consciously remember it, but I sang this song to him - with many verses - a lot when he was a little guy (up to a year old or so). So, maybe it takes him back to his "childhood" - ha ha.

The close runner up:

Knock, Knock.
Who's there?
Thad.
Thad who?
(Sing) Thad's the way , un huh, uh huh, I like it. Uh-huh, uh-huh.

Other ones he knows and has fun with:

Knock, Knock. Who's there? Little Old Lady. Little Old Lady who? I didn't know you could yodel!

Knock, Knock. Who's there? Alaska. Alaska who? Alaska a teacher, she'll know the answer!

Knock, Knock. Who's there? Tuba. Tuba who? Tuba toothpaste!

Knock, Knock. Who's there? Pencil. Pencil who? Pencil fall down if you don't wear a belt!

Knock, Knock. Who's there? House. House who? House about a kiss? Mmmmmm-smack!

Knock, Knock. Who's there? Luke. Luke who? Luke through the key hole and find out!

Knock, Knock. Who's there? Yvonna. Yvonna who? Yvonna buy a duck?

Knock, Knock. Who's there? Amos. Amos who? Amos -quito bit me.

Knock, Knock. Who's there? Andy. Andy who? Andy bit me again!

Knock, Knock. Who's there? Mary Lee. Mary Lee who? Mary Lee, Mary Lee, Mary Lee, Mary Lee, life is but a dream.

Knock, Knock. Who's there? Ivan. Ivan who? Ivan awful headache.

Knock, Knock. Who's there? Wayne. Wayne who? Wayne, Wayne, go away, come again another day.

Knock, Knock. Who's there? William Tell. William Tell who? William, tell everyone to be quiet!

Knock, Knock. Who's there? Gorilla. Gorilla who? Gorilla me a cheese sandwhich, please.

Knock, Knock. Who's there? Lion. Lion who? Lion your bed and go to sleep.

Knock, Knock. Who's there? Dogs. Dogs who? Dogs don't hoot, but owls do.

Knock, Knock. Who's there? A Caddillac. A Caddillac who? A Caddillac mad if you step on his tail - rarng!

Knock, Knock. Who's there? Beast. Beast who? Beast still, I'm trying to think.

Knock, Knock. Who's there? Rhino. Rhino who? Rhino something you don't know!

Knock, Knock. Who's there? Lettuce. Lettuce who? Lettuce in, it's cold out here!

Knock, Knock. Who's there? Ketchup. Ketchup who? Ketchup, or you'll be left behind. (Breathing hard) Wait for me!

Knock, Knock. Who's there? Olive. Olive who? Olive you, a bushel and a peck.

Knock, Knock. Who's there? Dishes. Dishes who? Dishes da police - open up!

Knock, Knock. Who's there? Boo. Boo who? What's wrong? I didn't know you were crying!

Knock, Knock. Who's there? Thistle. Thistle who? Thistle be the last knock knock joke!