Sunday, July 24, 2005

Hiking at Rocky Mt. National Park

Today we took our last hike as a family for a little while. Little man #2 could arrive any day, so until he can go out with us, may be a few months. But, soon, I am sure he will be a little mountain goat like his brother Luka - starting out in the back pack and soon running up the trails himself. We went to Rocky Mountain National Park and were glad to use our park pass another time.

I am two weeks away from my due date, but my gut feeling is, the baby would not come early and we were a bit stir-crazy from the very hot weather we've been having that kept us inside recently. Record breaking temps up to 105 degrees in the Denver area!

Luka had a blast and we met a nice family with six kids (4 little girls and 2 boys they were taking care of). He has so much fun hiking and playing with them that he was heart broken to leave them at the end of the day. He is very social and it is often traumatic for him to separate from friends or family.

I have a big tummy (see photo!) and some people seemed impressed such a pregant mama was on the trail, but others obviously thought I was some kind of nut. :) The family we met asked when I was due and I was (almost) embarrased to tell them (38 weeks along). But, I was right - I felt good getting the excercise and Luka and Reynald had a great time too. And, anyway, the nearest hospital was Boulder where we are going to give birth anyway. Since we are now home safe and sound, that is all a moot point.

We started at the the Bear Lake trailhead and went to Dreamland lake. Luka was very happy to put his feet in the water like some of the other kids - though they were red a bit from the coldness of the lake. He had wanted to go swimming, but we convinced him otherwise (not safe and forbidden).

We had been up here before when I was ~1 month pregnant, on snowshoes in December. Then, there were just a few other people. Luka was on his skis then, I think, for part of it. This time, he hiked the entire way. It was fun to see it in winter and in summer. Nice in summer too - but very popular with lots of people! Actually, considering the situation, this time around, that was not a bad thing.